Wednesday, May 10, 2006

Inagural Post

This is my first post. How many people do you think begin their first post with that very sentence? I really should have been more original, but oh well. That will come, my friends. In the meantime, I have all sorts of retroactive posts I'd like to create...entries I have been storing up in my actual real journal, the old-fashioned kind made of paper...what one would nowdays refer to as "hard-copy."

But first, let's back up a bit, so I can explain why I'm beginning this blog. I recently decided to quit my job in publishing, pack up all my stuff, and move away from a less-than-thrilling life. You know how sometimes just about every aspect of your life begins to suck all at once, so you know it's time to make some major changes? That's been my life over the past several months. Hated my job, didn't care for where I lived, never had enough money--or worse--never had enough time and energy to focus on things I do care about, got dumped, and was general displeased with the lack of momentum in my life, and I had absolutely no freaking idea how to be happier. Since I have no kids or significant other, I decided that there was no reason to sit there and wallow in boredom and complacency.

Sooo....

I quit my job with no other job or viable prospects lined up, moved most of my stuff into storage, put a few of my belongings as well as Murphy (my golden retriever mix after whom this blog is named) into my car, and headed to South Florida to spend the summer living in my parents' spare room. The idea is to spend at least the next few months letting my brain settle down for a bit, to stop all the planning and worrying and hideous mental noise that often makes life confusing, and to just exist for a while. Exist with my only goals being to wake up and do something new every day, to try to let go of a different worry each day, to let new and forgotten dreams reveal themselves. It's my hope that this can all happen when I stop micro-planning every minute of my future and worrying about how to achieve plans I'm not sure were ever really mine to begin with. And if these things don't all happen, I'll at least have a great time this summer with my family, who I miss desperately, and will get plenty of time to sit on the beach, read books I've been meaning to get to for years, and to write down everything along the way.

3 Comments:

At May 11, 2006 3:41 PM, Blogger Jayde_Bramblerose said...

well you know what they say , ( from this day on is my new life ) all the best on your move my friend , hope all goes well for you and for murphy .

 
At May 15, 2006 12:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am very happy that you have made this journey to South Florida, to your family. I am sure a family of strange, loud, sometimes outspoken, a little overwhelming, diverse people (don't ask me how I know)! People that would drop everything to lend a hand if needed and even the strongest of people need a hand once in a while! A place that you are able to get a hug when needed, arms are waiting! Work towards your new goals and desires, dont worry about old goals, I think everyone has goals that were left behind. Make new memories and meet new people! Get a new pair of flip flops and shorts and learn how to relax and have some fun!

Oh, now that you are in South Florida learn the phrase "Its just another day in paradise"

 
At May 15, 2006 2:56 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Thanks for those words of encouragement! To the "anonymous" reader: gosh, it's almost like you've met my family before...
;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home