Thursday, May 25, 2006

Transplants and More Coffee

It would be nice to say I'm adjusting to life in South Florida, but it wouldn't be true. But I am adjusting to some things. My job is fun and it gives me something to do everyday and people to talk to. I'm realizing that very few people are from this area; almost everyone here is a transplant from somewhere else, which fascinates me, as it means everyone had a specific reason for choosing to come here--a story. As it turns out, a number of people I've met at work and around town, like me, came down here at a time in their lives when nothing seemed to be working right, when they needed a break and to recharge their souls. Some, like me, chose this location merely because they have friends or family who offered support and not for any reason specific to Florida. Others just chose this area because they wanted to be far away from their old lives and close to the beach.

Maybe that will be my personal writing project this summer. Collect stories from people about what brought them here and why. Hmm. We'll have to see about that.

In the meantime, yesterday I learned how to work the espresso bar at Starbucks, which is the final step in training. They save it for the very end, as it is the holy altar of each store. Yesterday I spend a couple hours at the desk in the back memorizing the recipe for each espresso-based drink, and then the last couple hours I spent at the bar learning how to physically make each one. As long as I don't burn my hands off while steaming milk or pouring shots, I think I'll be ok.

I've honestly never had a job which required such thorough training. Not even when I was preparing to be a TA (to teach freshman composition) in grad school. But I don't mind. It's paid training, and I certainly feel better knowing what I'm doing, as I've learned that regular Starbucks customers know their shit, and if you don't know what they're asking for, they look at you like a small creature is crawling out of your nose.

Tomorrow is my "certification" test. Cross your fingers.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home