Thursday, June 29, 2006

The phone guy

I want to leave early for work so I can sit and read for a few minutes before I have to clock in, and I'm all ready to go but I've sort of locked myself in my room. Well, not really. But my parents are having all sorts of changes done to their phone line, security system, and internet access, so there is some weird guy from the phone company out in the kitchen...which is where I need to go before leaving for work. And my dad is helping my brother with something, so the phone guy is in there by himself, which means that if I go in there, I'll have to chat with him. I hate doing that. It's nothing against people from the phone company. Rather, I don't like talking to people I don't know, especially if they're in my house for anything. I know, I'm insane for that. It's that introvert thing. And my own personal weirdness. It's like when the movers came when I was getting ready to leave St. Louis. I felt all weird around them, like I should either help with the moving or at least entertain them with brilliant conversation. Or when I go get my hair cut or something, and I feel like I should have lots of interesting conversations with the hair person, when I really just want to zone out into my own world. Now, I know that they don't necessarily want conversation either, but it's still this weird feeling I get when I'm with people I don't know who are providing some sort of service for me.

But I suppose I should be an adult about it and leave for work, just I had planned. And it won't kill me to say hello to the phone guy. Oh, wait, I hear my dad and brother back downstairs in the kitchen, which means I'm no longer obligated to make small talk. Yay.

I'm too old for this.

4 Comments:

At June 29, 2006 12:21 PM, Blogger Deb said...

I used to be a 'phone guy' and personally speaking----we cringe when people who live in the home try to make small chat.

So don't worry about it. Leave him be and do your thing! :)

Enjoy your day!!!

 
At June 29, 2006 12:26 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Excellent! Thanks for the insight...it helps sooth my neuroses.
:)

 
At June 29, 2006 9:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you. I hate that to. I don't know what to say and just feel stupid. Glad to know the first poster said they don't like to talk either.

 
At June 29, 2006 10:52 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I feel the same way. I actually tip better when the woman cutting my hair doesn't talk to me. I just say hi and thank you. If they ask me a question in the attempt at starting small talk, I answer it but don't return the favor. They usually are happy to not have to endure small talk.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home