Sunday, July 02, 2006

Insomnia

I can't get to sleep!!! I've been flopping around in bed for an hour now and just cannot turn off the buzz in my brain so I can go to sleep. Before I got into bed, I was so drowsy, but now I'm wide awake and have a million thoughts running through my head all at once---but all I want to do is sleep.

I love and hate insomnia. I've been cursed/blessed with it most of my life, but it comes and goes and is usually symptomatic of depression. Quite often, I can use it to my advantage by using this time to read, write, think, and enjoy the quiet of feeling like the only person awake on a sleeping planet. But tonight it's just frustrating, as I have to get up at 4:15 for work.

Also, it confuses Murphy. Right now, he's staring up at me from his place on the floor besides my desk, looking groggy but expectant.

Does counting sheep work? What about warm milk? Gross. Wine? Yes, that might work, but it also might just give me a buzz so that I'm a little hung-over at work, and that sort of defeats the whole idea.

Maybe I shouldn't have slept until 2 this afternoon. But that was because last night I didn't fall asleep until after 5. It's a terrible cycle, isn't it?

2 Comments:

At July 04, 2006 12:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My grandma had two widowed sisters, Mary and Helen, who used to live with each other back in the 1960s. They were these East Coast Italian ladies, probably in their 70s or early 80s by that time. They also had a kitty cat named Margaret, who was apparently a huge slut. Anyway, one night, Mary couldn't sleep and was sitting up in the kitchen. Helen comes in and suggests that she drink "a glass of hot milk." Mary replies: "Honey, I don't need hot milk; what I need is a hot cock." Helen then informs her sister that there would be no messing around in that house, "and that goes for you too, Margaret." I'm assuming that Aunt Mary's remedy wouldn't work for you though.

 
At July 04, 2006 2:00 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Emily, you kill me. That's got to be the most interesting blog comment ever, on any blog on all of the internet. Seriously, I love it. And thanks for the suggestion, but no that isn't a solution for my insomnia.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home