Monday, August 28, 2006

I knew it would happen eventually

Right now, this is what everyone in the city is thinking about and preparing for. While all the meteorologists and news channels are speculating, the truth is nobody knows for sure what Ernesto will do next. Most are predicting that he'll upgrade to a hurricane once he hits the warm waters north of Cuba and then head right for the West Palm, Lauderdale, Miami areas. Right where I am!! So the next few days should be interesting.

I stopped for gas on my way home from work this afternoon, and this is what the gas station looked like:

Most gas stations I have seen today look like this. I only stopped for gas because I was getting low and needed some, but everyone else there appeared to be preparing for the apocalypse. One guy had the entire back of his pickup truck full of dozens of gas containers, and he filled each one. I suspect that the weasel plans to sell these for lots of money if a hurricane knocks out the power to such a degree that businesses--gas stations--close for a number of days, or if the gas stations run out of gas.

If Ernesto does become a hurricane, and if he does hit my area, I'll try to get some pictures and post them up here.

Also if this happens, I may be without power and, thus, the ability to update my blog for a number of days.

In the meantime, I have a couple new books to sink my teeth into--and a flashlight to read by.

2 Comments:

At August 29, 2006 7:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So you aren't planning on leaving? Has your area been told to evacuate?

 
At August 29, 2006 8:06 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Nah...they're not even sure it's going to upgrade from a tropical storm to a hurricane at this point. And if it does become a hurricane, it will likely only be a category 1. We just had hurricane shutters installed on all the windows, and we have supplies (non-perishables, water, batteries, etc.) in case we need them.

I don't know of anyone who's evacuating for this one. I must say that I'm impressed with many people down here with this regard (except for the asshole hogging all the gas). They're pros at hurrican preps. Also keep in mind, there are these things called hurricane parties. People figure if you're going to be stuck inside for a day during the hurricane and then stuck without electricity for who knows how long after, then you might as well drink and play games and stuff with neighbors. At least, that's how everyone I know deals with it. :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home