Sunday, September 03, 2006

Italian graffiti

Evidently, I'm going to spend the next fifteen years of my life posting pictures from my trip to Italy back in July. It's because posting pics on blogger can be kind of a pain in the ass at times, and I end up putting it off, no matter how much I want to get certain pics up on my blog.

Anyway, here are some that you don't see in many collections of vacation pics, but they amuse me.

There was graffiti ALL OVER the place in Italy. At first, I didn't pay much attention. But by the end of the first day there, I was fascinated. I've never seen so much graffiti. So I started taking pictures of it, and here are a bunch of examples.





Yes, this is Arnold. On the side of an old building in the middle of Florence, near the cathedral. Arnold keeps watch over the Piazza del Duomo.



Not a murder scene. Rather, graffiti on the banks of the river in Florence.

Amen to that.









My sister standing next to Picasso's long-lost "Homer Simpson."







Yes, these people were "ear."


There's a lot going on here, and most of it I'm not sure I get. But I do see a large W near the rabbit's jaw. Something about wishing a giant mutant bunny would come devour Bush...?

Kids, stay away from the drougs.







I like this one and the one above it because I busted the kid who painted them. I was walking toward town from the train station in a little city called Borgo San Lorenzo. When I walked past this corridor, I teenager stopped dead, with a can of paint in his hand and looked at me like I was the devil. I didn't react at all and just kept walking. Later that day, when I was walking back to the train station, I made a point of stopping here to see what he wrote. Poor little guy is in love. Good luck with that, kid.





I went to this website and, sure enough, it exists and looks like something political and radical. But it's in Italian, so I don't know what it says.


On the wall of the Borgo San Lorenzo station. The eyes crack me up.

2 Comments:

At September 04, 2006 9:53 AM, Blogger Marcia said...

Those are so cool!

(and, um, I think that the W? Is, um, taking a little dump...)

Also... I really suggest getting a Flickr.com account. It makes uploading photos SO much easier - and I've never had a problem with it being down, and you can upload many photos at a time. Email me and I'll tell you more...

 
At September 04, 2006 2:35 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Yeah, I thought that's what is happening there, but I figured I'd let people work out their own interpretations. But see, there are two Ws: A smaller one up near the rabbit's face and then the other larger one below the rabbit. It's either a W or an ass. But aren't they just the same thing anyway? :)

I've thought about looking into Flickr. Maybe I'll go check it out this afternoon. Thanks!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home