Tuesday, October 17, 2006

As I was saying...

My new store (which is only new to me) is just around the corner from a small christian university here in West Palm Beach. Because of this, many of our customers are students and faculty, which would be fine, but they aren't your typical college crowd. They all look an awful lot like the cast of the movie Saved. They are all white, squeaky clean, from wealthy republican families, and have probably never worked a day in their lives. They are smug about toting their bibles around with them, tucked under their arms as they order their soy chai lattes and sport new, expensive, trendy clothes. And they all have this "Whoever loves Jesus most wins!" attitude which nauseates me. They act like they are "good" and "moral" but all they do is pat themselves on the back for being so righteous and able to quote any bible passage, though they are full of total sanctimonious crap which fuels the disgusting right-wing mindset of our culture right now. These people praise themselves and each other for being christian, yet they close their eyes to real problems in the world and propagate hate, prejudice, homophobia, ignorance, racism, everything bad. They shelter themselves from reality, a world where people starve, where people don't have homes and new clothes, where not everyone gives a crap about how many bibles these people own. It's all pretense which gives them a false sense of morality. The only time they "help" people in adverse situations or in marginal communities, like when they do missionary work, is only with an agenda to "save" them, to sell their religion to them; it's never just to help for the sake of helping another human. They treat faith like currency, as they use it to move up in their little society, without ever stopping to question what they preach, to think for themselves, to stop being sheep.

Yeah, sure I'm making some generalizations here, but they are largely accurate.

They represent a faction in our country I can't stand, and it makes me a little crazy that I have to deal with them on a daily basis right now. On the other hand, I sure do get a kick out of knowing that I pretty much represent everything that scares the shit out of them. To them, I am probably the antichrist: a divorced atheist, feminist, ultra-liberal lesbian. Wonder if they'd still drink their coffee knowing who made it.

Yesterday, one of them tried to "save" a co-worker, who politely smiled and kept working. After these people left, my co-worker said, "Damn, I knew it would happen eventually. My worst nightmare in this store." I thought it was funny that he got cornered by a couple of them, though I probably wouldn't have been laughing if they'd tried it with me, which I am sure will happen eventually. I will behave myself when this happens, but I'm not going to pretend to have any respect for their world. They of course have a right to their beliefs, but their beliefs and the way they peddle them are damaging to the rest of the planet. They wouldn't tolerate me walking up to them and preaching about feminism, so why do they assume they have that right to preach unsolicited about their beliefs?

4 Comments:

At October 17, 2006 8:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that you realized you are making generalizations just based on their appearances and what college they are going to.

 
At October 17, 2006 9:56 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I am making generalizations based on experiences.

 
At October 17, 2006 11:09 AM, Blogger Heather said...

I love your gay fairy dust idea! hahaha

Yeah, I'm glad you see this isn't actually a rant against christianity, though I could produce one of those. This is a rant against hypocrisy and some people's mission to convert people everywhere they go. It's like their brains are so limited that they have nothing else to talk about, no other way to try to connect to people.

 
At October 18, 2006 3:52 PM, Blogger bubamarenya said...

I have gay fairy dust on me at all times. You never know..

 

Post a Comment

<< Home