Sunday, November 12, 2006

lots and lots of people

Wow, I can't believe it's been almost a week since my last post. This week has been that busy. Actually, all I have done for the past week is work, but work has been nuts and it feels like I have barely been home because of it. For example, on Wednesday I worked from 8-4:30. And then I went back at 11 and after the store closed, a few of us had to change out all the displays, which kept us there until 4am. Also, we've had a number of no-shows from some of our young-ish employees (the ones for whom this isn't a real living, who still get money from their parents and don't need their job and can afford to treat it with absolutely no respect). When someone does that they get fired, which is fine by me. But in the meantime, it leaves the rest of us on that particular shift shorthanded, which makes for a completely insane experience.

Last night was one of those times. We were short two people, and it was by far the busiest night I have ever experienced there. The line went from the registers to the door and usually out the door from a few minutes after I arrived at 5:30 until fifteen minutes before closing at 1am. Nonstop. There were four of us on the floor during this, and I had to make sure everyone got their adequate breaks, which meant at times we only had three people on the floor. I'm a stickler for making sure everyone gets their breaks, especially in situations like this, where everyone needs to step away for a while and take a breather or they'll go nuts.

It was insane. This is what I don't get: If I'm out somewhere and decide I want coffee, but I come across a line that goes out the door, there is no way in hell I am going to stand in that line. With all due respect to the people who keep our store in business, I can't believe anyone would stand in that line and then subject themselves to the crowd in the other parts of the store.

So anyway, in addition to the crowds last night and being short-staffed, our sanitizer/dishwasher wasn't working right, which meant scrubbing and sanitizing everything by hand after we closed....everything. We closed at 1, were supposed to finish cleaning up the store by 2, but in reality, we didn't leave until 3. That's AM. It got to the point where my co-workers and I could only laugh. It was maniacal laughter, but laughter nonetheless.

This is the trade-off for having been transferred to such a busy store and for being promoted in going there. I miss the actual coffee shop atmosphere, which is annihilated in the crowds we get at my new store. It doesn't exist, and that makes me a little sad, as it's why I have loved this job from the start.

Honestly, I don't know how much better tonight will be, since one of last night's no-shows was also on tonight's schedule.

Thankfully, I can stop at any moment and toss back a couple shots of caffeine during my shift. I need it.

On the other hand, I am excited because in just a couple weeks, Kathy will be down here for a visit. I am off the whole time she's here, and I can't wait to relax and tear things up around here with her.


At November 13, 2006 10:24 AM, Blogger librarylapin said...

okay i am sorry but i started working when i was eleven and i have never been a no show no call to work. your people are just irresponsible...grrrrr... get some sleep girl!!

At November 13, 2006 12:32 PM, Blogger Heather said...

Yep. That's why we fire those people.


Post a Comment

<< Home