Tuesday, November 21, 2006

more fun with less hair

I went into my bedroom just now to go to sleep, but I am sorely behind on my blogs and I won't be able to get to sleep until I've posted something.

First, the weather here is beautiful! Right now it's 50 degrees. The temps have been that mild all week, and that makes me so happy! It's pretty amazing, the correlation between the weather and my mood. Naturally, the native floridians are freaking out. Ok, maybe not freaking out, but I am seeing people in gloves and scarves. Seriously. And we are ridiculously busy at work right now, as everyone wants hot chocolate. But most importantly, Murphy loves this weather. He trots around on our walks at a much more brisk pace, tail wagging, nails (which need to be clipped) clicking away beside me on the sidewalk, big puppy smile on his face. He's so damn cute!

Also within the past week, I have had two haircuts. First was the big one, when I initially had a lot of it cut off, but throughout the rest of the day and especially the next morning, I couldn't help but feel like it was too heavy on top and in the front--like it needed to be thinned and shortened just a tad more. So I went back to the lady who did it the first time, fully intending to pay for a whole new cut, but she trimmed it up and didn't charge me, which was fun. It's REALLY short now. Shortest it's ever been. Short and choppy and a little spikey in places. And I don't have to do a damn thing to it when I'm getting ready to go somewhere. YAY!

I've also been in one of my outgoing social moods recently and have been out a lot. Last Thursday was the first night in weeks when I actually got off work early enough to do something, and since I was off the next day I didn't have to worry about being in bed by a certain time. So I met up with friends down in Lauderdale and by 3-something in the morning, we were all tossing our clothes onto the sand at the beach and splashing around in the ocean. Oh, it was fabulous. Clear, intoxicating weather (though warmer than now), energizing ocean water, and an empty beach in the middle of the night. And sand in everyone's jeans, shoes, cars, and apartments afterward...but totally worth it.

This past Sunday was one of my favorite days since moving here. First, I met up with Becca, Angela, and Holi for an early lunch, where we talked about Angela and Holi's recent trip to Mexico City and then took turns telling our favorite stories of insane and outrageous monarchs throughout history. By the way, my favorite outrageous monarch is Eleanor of Aquitaine (or here is wikipedia's page on her). Not at all insane, but fabulously interesting as well as controversial in her time. Angela and Holi told us a fascinating story about the king and queen who resided in the castle in Mexico City, which was such a great story, though I can't remember their names. Maybe when Angela and/or Holi read this, they can supply it in their comments...? ;)

After lunch, we all went to Borders where we sat in the cafe for hours talking books, school, and other awesome nerdy stuff while comparing signatures.

Then part three of the day started when all of us went to the bar to watch football and hang out with some other friends. Most of us were there til about 9 or 10 that night, which is about when I headed home.

Perfect day: a yummy greek salad with fun conversation, coffee with books and more fun conversation, and then beer with football and yet more fun conversation. I love my friends here. I didn't want the day to end.

I'm happy tonight.

One week from tomorrow, Kathy will be here!

3 Comments:

At November 22, 2006 9:04 AM, Blogger bubamarenya said...

Weeeeeeeeeeee. I loved Sunday too.
the monarchs are Maximiliano and Carlota. :)

 
At November 22, 2006 9:08 AM, Blogger Heather said...

Thanks!

 
At November 27, 2006 2:54 PM, Blogger Bug said...

Pobre, pobre Maximilliano y Carlota! :'(

 

Post a Comment

<< Home