Friday, February 02, 2007

escape

I've desperately needed to get out of town for a while now, but I refused to see it as a possibility in the near future. I don't know why. My friend Chris talked me into saying screw it and taking a few days off and finding some sort of adventure for myself. I have done just that.

Initially, I was going to drive up to Savannah, Georgia, but most of their hotels were booked for when I wanted to go. And the ones that weren't booked are super expensive and would sort of defeat the idea of a fun, stress-free trip. So just for kicks, I went to one of the travel websites and started looking at their last minute packages. I found the most amazing deal for a trip to Santa Fe, New Mexico. Several years ago, my then-husband and I went there for a week, and I thought it was one of the most beautiful places I'd ever seen. I know my ex loved it, too, but he said he prefers places with more green, while Santa Fe is obviously high desert (that's how he felt then, though I don't know if he still does). Anyway, I have wanted to get back there ever since that first trip and two weeks from now, I will be there for four days! Honestly, I found such a great deal on airfare, a hotel room, and a rental car. I won't go into exact prices here, but it's unbelievable.

So...thank you, Chris, for pushing me into this, as I know it's the best idea anyone has had in ages. And I will bring you home a souvenir (and, no, it won't be a man for you).

Last time I took any kind of trip alone, I was 18. I went to Germany for two weeks, and though I stayed most of the time with my aunt and uncle who lived there back then, I took a few overnight trips in and around the region alone. It was great. But this whole trip will be me on my own, and that's one of the things I'm most excited about. Hopefully, it will be relaxing, to a therapeutic degree. I'm going to take tons of pictures and bring my journal along of course. Also, I hope to go skiing and hiking. But mostly, I plan to wander around and breathe that air which I remember as being some of the cleanest and most energizing I've ever breathed.

1 Comments:

At February 05, 2007 12:54 PM, Blogger Chris said...

Oh you're making me blush! I don't know about best idea, but am sooooooo glad you're doing it. And what's wrong with bringing a guy back, I gave you the damn idea!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home